Sunday, March 1, 2015

Carvin X100B Series IV Guitar Amp Head

Carvin X100B Series IV Guitar Amp Head

Carvin has been around for over 60 years and is known today for there gorgeous high quality guitars and basses but there amps do not get talked about as often. Back in the 80's there X100B amp graced more stages then I or anyone can count. With bands like Frank & Dweezil Zappa, Starship, Missing Persons and Steve Vai using this amp to give them the tone and balance they was looking for in there tone. With the Series IV that is the latest and greatest version of this amp it is better then it ever was and well worth taking another look at. I have wanted one for a very long time and being a long time player of the V3 and V3m this was a nice addition to my already huge heavy Carvin collection. I have to mention also this was a awesome Christmas present to me from my wonderful wife Kathrine and Carvin.


Features
Dual Channels: Clean & Lead
Master Volume with switchable boost
Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence and Reverb Controls
5 band graphic EQ assignable to clean or lead channel
25/50/100 watt output switch
Bias switch for 5881, 6L6 or EL34 power tubes
Cabinet voiced XLR balanced output
Foot switchable Effects loop
Four EL34 & Three 12aX7 Tubes
25.25 wide x 10.5 high x 9.5 deep
(I have the Jungle Red Tolex put on mine like all my amps)


Sound
This amp has the best clean channel I have ever used on any amp to date with headroom that bursts the roof off.  I can get everything from country and bluegrass chime to blues and that beautiful almost acoustic sounding ballad sound. The lead channel is really bold and allows to take my sound from a very well almost non distortion to blues, rock, classic rock, hard rock and even a very heavy sound. The amp is one of the best all tube amps I have used (I am a bit of a old school purist I prefer all tube amps) getting that natural breakup that musicians adore.This is kinda a jack of all trades amp that will allow you to take and make any tone with the easy to dial in controls. The sounds are very rich and robust with clarity on all sides of the most sought after amps in the world.



My Opinion
Carvin has taken this amp and over the years tweaked and peaked it but kept it very close to the original keeping purists like myself very happy. It seems that most of the people that have used any version of this amp have loved it in one form or another and still play it or have it in there studio today. This amp reminds me of the most cherished Marshall's of the 80's but with more options and tone variation. It does not quite amp up to reach the Hardcore and Death Metal sounds but besides that it is a amp that can do it all and still stands up to any amp out there on the market today. With the tone and watt options on this amp you can use it in your bedroom, stage or studio and with the easy to dial in sound spend much more time playing then switching knobs. With the switchable EQ it takes a two channel amp and you can work it into a four by how you adjust the EQ and flip it in and out what is really genius. I fell in love with this amp with about 2 min of playing time making this one of my main amps I use now for just about everything I do. This amp is very pedal friendly using the effect loop what is one of the quietest loops in a amp I have used to date. I love everything about this amp and honestly would not change anything about it. It is rare this day in age to get a amp of this caliber for under 600 bucks that is made in the United States!!!


Contact
www.carvinguitars.com
www.facebook.com/carvinamplifiers
www.facebook.com/carvinguitarsofficial


2 comments:

  1. Do you prefer the x100B or theV3 overall. i'm thinking of buying one very soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Publishd earlier as Unknown but not Henson. LOL
    Do you prefer the X100B or the V3 overall. I'm thinking of buying one very soon and I'm stuck between one of the Carvins' & a PRS Archon

    ReplyDelete